“Grandparent- A little bit parent, a little bit teacher and a little bit best friend”
Grandparents- The power to love, care and grow”
For centuries, India has followed a joint family system which has helped integrate the elderly into the family and childcare duties. But the last three decades or so have seen a rise in the number of nuclear families. With this, the role of grandparents has steadily diminished. However, it is important to bear in mind that grandparents play an important role in our children’s lives by instilling positive values and traditions.
It has been found that children find unique acceptance in their relationships with grandparents which benefits them emotionally and mentally. They are often role models and mentors for younger generations. Grandparents act as ‘stress buffers’, ‘connection to our roots’, and ‘support systems’. However, their contribution is most often seen in indirect ways. Most of their significance to children is seen through the support and help they give to their parents.
Contributions of grandparents in a child’s life:
- Grandparents are the best storytellers. From incidents related to their childhood to their children's childhood antics-they are a storehouse of stories
- They are often their first play mates
- They help in teaching children new lifestyle skills
- Grandparents provide a great source of support to working parents are play a vital role in the upbringing of the children
- They help in teaching family traditions to our young ones in a playful manner
- They help teach children the importance of empathy and patience
For a special needs child, a grandparent’s role becomes even more important. They act as a support system for the parents and act as buddies, mentors, teachers and guides. Motivated by love, grandparents often adjust their expectations and routines to be part of their child’s life. They are undaunting supporters and encouragers in the family.
So let’s continue celebrating our parents for always being there for our little ones and providing never ending support and care!